Friday, March 28, 2008

Snowboarding Day 1

SHORT VERSION:
Yes I fell. Lots. Yes, I am tired. Yes, my butt hurts. But hey I'm all in one piece and I never gave up! I only got run into once and I only ran into someone else once. Yes, I was all toasty warm (even sweaty).Yes, I had a GREAT TIME!!

LONG VERSION:
WOW! I had absolutely no idea that I had muscles in certain places, but they are sure talkin' too me now! ha ha ha

Stace's husband Scott took the pics today so it might be a few days before I get them loaded. It was decided that the "newbies" shouldn't be in charge of camera's because we might squish them in all of our many falls. And FALLS there were!!

Our instructor was Luke and there were five of us in our little class- me, Stace, Beth, Whitney, and Jim. Those other three are Stacy's friends from Indiana that I met when I went to visit her this last year. Luke started us out by only strapping in our dominant foot so that we got used to the motion of the board. That was hard! And he knew it would be the hardest part. He's a thinker that instructor of ours. Maybe that's why he's an instructor...

We made it down the "trial/training" hill to where we were going to *GASP* get on the lift. Luke told us that we were not allowed to fall once we got off because if we did we would either #1-get knocked over by the chair behind us or #2- get run over by another skiier. Hmmm. Ok. I got off just perfectly but somehow in my gracefulness I pushed Stacy over. Oh man. Thankfully no one ran her over and she didn't get bonked by the next chair or I would have been toast.

Now it was time to make it down the "bunny hill." He would tell us something he wanted us to do and then we would do it one by one so that he could watch. The first few times we started heel side (staring down the mountain with our heels behind us) Luke would have to help us up. But by the third time I was able to get up myself! It was easy to get up when we were toeside up though (bum facing down the mountain). It was here that I ran into someone. We were practicing J turns and I didn't turn fast enough and ran smack dab into Luke Puke. But so did Whitney. It was also here on the bunny hill that Beth ran into me. I had just gotten done with my turn and made it to where the group was sitting. Beth was up after me. I heard here saying something behind me and before I new it *SLAM* !! I was sitting on my bum and her board ran smack into my lower back/top of my bum. OUCH! But just like I tell my nephews~ Walk it off! So I took a little moment to breathe, told myself I was fine, and jumped up to complete the next task Luke was going to give us. Ben had told me that if I was going to do this then I couldn't wuss out. And I ain't no wuss! I checked out the "injury" in the mirror when I got home and it's only a small mark about the length of a french fry. Who knows what it will look like tomorrow... but hey, I ain't no wuss!

I made it down the bunny hill with a lot of confidence and knew that the next time down I would smoke it! But Luke the Puke had another idea. We were going to go down a different part of the mountain *DOUBLE GASP*. Ummmm. Ok. Stace had to run to the bathroom so while we were waiting Puke taught us how to do Opie's (I think that's what he said). Basically some little jumping on our boards. Let's just say it was more of us on our bums then in the air. Ok, back the "other hill." This hill didn't work out so well. This hill was where three lanes merged and there were LOTS of people. Lots of people to possibly take out and lots of people that were going to run over us. But somehow not a single "regular" ran over me. It was an absolute miracle because I was on the ground every 30 seconds. I was absolutely EXHAUSTED by the time I got down that hill.

After that we all headed to eat. Mmmmm.

All in all, I had a WONDERFUL time and can't wait for what tomorrow brings at The Canyons! I will guarantee you that I will be on the bunny hill the whole time. And that's ok! Hopefully my body cooperates with me and doesn't tell me at 8am tomorrow morning that "maybe I should just go back to bed." Cuz afterall...

I ain't no wuss!

6 comments:

Princess said...

I am so glad you had fun! You will be a pro before you know it! I might have to take a bet on whether or not you are physically able to get up in the morning. Any guesses on which way I would bet? ;p

Jamie said...

You are for sure not a wuss! Sounds like lots of fun! My hubby misses the boarding.

Smiley Family said...

Way to go Sand!! I think it is so great that you are learning something new. Oh, and your pink goggles are stinkin' hot!

Tarika said...

I am so glad that you made it safely down all of the hills and that you ain't no wuss...we will have to go next year...or maybe this year since it never seems to stop snowing...

The Simmons Family said...

Geez...I'm glad to hear you survived!! I tried snowboarding many times and just gave up. I'm more of a water sports type of girl. I don't know though... if I had some hot pink barbie goggles, I might just feel obligated to try again! A.

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo impressed. I'd probably be going down the hill on my head. Bonsai!!! Besides it doesn't matter how good you did, what matters is how good you LOOKED. Love the pink goggles! What a hottie.