Tuesday, April 8, 2008

With a very broken heart I write this post. Ben's sweet, sweet momma, Sharon, passed away Sunday night. Luckily Ben and I, along with most of his family, were able to be there when it happened.

I remember the day that I met Sharon. I had been bugging Ben for MONTHS about when he was going to take me home and he kept telling me "One Day." Well, that "One Day" happened to be on the way home from camping over Memorial Day weekend. He gave me no warning before we left for our camping trip, otherwise I would have packed make-up, pretty clothes, breathmints, etc. But no, we showed up at his parents home with me looking all camper-fabulous. It didn't really matter though because I was finally going to meet his momma. And I've loved her ever since. I have a lot of fun memories of Sharon. From the first time she told me she loved me to her special "Garden Party." She always made me feel included.

My most recent memories are more tender. Ben and I spent most of last week at the ICU. It's here that I developed a deep love for Sharon. It's in the special moments I had holding her hand, feeding her ice chips, and filing her nails that I truly feel in love with Ben's momma. There was one night in particular. Ben had to work late and I had this feeling that I still needed to go down to visit Sharon. When I got there two of her friends were there and she was talking and smiling. I even got a laugh out of her and she rolled her eyes at me when I suggested we paint her toenails black. After her friends left she was sedated with a sleeping medication and her large oxygen mask was put on. I sat right next to her bed and held her hand. Even though she was falling asleep I knew she heard me telling her how much I love Ben and her family. I sat with her for another 30 minutes telling her stories of my life. Then the nurse and I rubbed her feet for the next 20 minutes as she finally drifted off to sleep.

To all of the staff at the ICU, Thank You. Everyone was so kind and gentle, especially in those last few hours. To Ben's family, I love you dearly and thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to be there. And to my dear Ben, I love you sweetheart.

13 comments:

The Trusty Blog said...

Sandy...I am so sorry to hear about Ben's mom. You have such a beautiful way of bonding with people you meet and I'm sure you made her life better during the time you were with her. Hugs to you and Ben!

The Lund Five said...

I am sorry to hear about Ben's mom. Our thoughts and prayers are with you! We love you!

Princess said...

I am sure it meant a lot to her to know that she would be leaving her son with someone that is so wonderful and loving! Death is so hard but also a wonderful learning experience. I am sorry for both your loss!

All About M.E.('s) said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Ben's mom. I agree with Stacy, I'm sure she felt great comfort knowing that she was leaving her son in your hands. I'm glad that you were able to get to know her and bond with her.

Jane said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ben.

Smiley Family said...

Oh Sandy, I think you have had your share of sorrow lately. I am so sorry for your (and Ben's) loss. Please let Ben know that we are thinking of him at this time. I can't even imagine what he must be going through. He is lucky to have you by his side.

Monica Lifferth said...

So sad Sandy. May the Big Guy upstairs give you and Ben comfort. This is the second time this year I have been able to "experience" through someone else the last days of someone with a terminal illness. Although nothing in this world will bring complete comfort to you or Ben, I'm so happy you got to say goodbye. Hugs to you. Love you lots.

Tarika said...

Hey babe...again I am so sad to hear about this. I hope that you and Ben are doing alright. I am giving you two big hugs right now...of course they aren't as great as yours, but I try real hard. Anyway, I love you both.

The Simmons Family said...

I'm so sorry Sandy! My prayers will be with you, Ben and his family during this time. How sweet of you to sit by his mom's bedside, rub her feet and just be another daughter to her. Ben is lucky to have you as part of his life and I'm sure his mom found comfort and peace in that.

Much love!
Andrea

Greg Nelson said...

Kathryn, the kids, and I love you very much. We are grateful for your opportunity to have a good relationship with Ben's mom. He is a good guy and I am sure his mother is even better. Thanks for being a good sister, sister-in-law, and aunt, for caring more than you should and having such a light heart. I am sure she is having a great family reunion now with people that she has missed since their passing.

Jessup Jive said...

So very sorry. We are only so lucky sometimes in this life to have relationships like those. I think about my family members and wish that I could have spent moments like those with them. Big Hugs to both you and Ben.

Aimee my Aimee said...

Hey sweetie... I know how much you loved her and my thoughts are with you two. I am glad that you guys were able to spend time with her before she left us. I love you.

Daffany said...

Hey Sandy! That was a fun night! It was the last time I saw Sharon smile...I hope you know how much she loved you, she was so happy to see Ben with you. This world will not be the same without her!