Ok, so I was lying in bed reading our bookclub book (which in fact is due tomorrow and I'm only halfway through it, but that's par for the course) and a thought came to me. It made me sit straight up and run to my hall closet. I was searching for my 72 Hour Kit. Why on earth did I all the sudden think about that in the middle of reading about some woman's search for herself in India? Heaven only knows...
But do I have what I need in there if I need to evacuate suddenly? Do I even have undies that fit? Or are they what Mom had in there when I was 10? Do I have the required snacks and hot blanket and first aid kit? What about the dogs? I don't have a kit for them. They will need food and WILL NOT survive on my peanut butter crackers and raisens (I found out they don't like raisens yesterday by the way). What about financial information? I DO NOT have my account numbers memorized, nor do I have copies of my birth certificate, SS card, or passport. I remember seeing a post on one of Jamie's relative's blogs about all this stuff. Why is coming to me now? If there was a fire, would I know where to grab all of this and what would I take with me if I only had seconds to grab it? Or what if there was a natural disaster and I was forced to live on my food storage... Ben always says that I have enough food to last me a while, but what if there was no water coming out of the taps? Most of my food I couldn't use. Ok, so first things first...
#1- revise my 72 hour kit to satisfy the needs of one person (at least it will be lighter now)
#2- concoct a small 72 hour kit for the dogs and put right next to mine. I could probably put their's in a fanny pack. Ha ha, a fanny pack.
#3- Gather copies of all important documents (including important phone numbers just in case my cell phone goes haywire and the only two numbers I have memorized is Mom and Ben's) and other financial information and put it in a file folder next to my 72 hour kit(s).
#4- Start storing water. I've got lots of shelves in the garage where it can go. Cuz it ain't going to matter how much I have if I can't cook it. I just don't think dry pasta would taste very good...
#5- Don't panic. Don't panic. Don't panic.
Ahhh. I feel much better now. You're always hearing about food storage and that stuff and it was always so intimidating that I pushed it the very back of the corners of my mind. But maybe it's not so daunting after all. It should be much easier now that I'm concerned with only myself. But to be on the safe side I'll throw some items in my 72 hour kit for Ben. Don't worry Roo, I've got you covered.
And one more thing... Greg and Kathryn gave me a good idea on how to spice up my food storage. Ohhhh yummy!


7 comments:
That is awesome! I am going to be one of those people who find people like you and ask you to share your food and water with me! I will bring Pickles ;)
umm...yeah 72 hour kit??? What is that??? Just kidding, but I haven't really thought about soemthing like that. I guess I should...thanks for reminding me...
oh no...really? I will tell my handy fix it...hahahaha Sean is so not handy...
The mold is in a different place, but still on that same wall that doesn't get any sun...LAME! And thanks for helping us move...do you think that we can get Ben amd his big muscles too?
haha you are so funny i almost pee peeds my pants!!!
I packed more after you left and now...I have only a few things. I got a lot done after you left. I know you don't believe, but it is true...
This blog is funny because I was freaking out today at work about whether or not our desks are strong enough to withstand an earthquake. Where do these crazy thoughts come from? I think between the two of us.. we got something.
Post a Comment