Monday, November 23, 2009

Breaking The Silence

Many of you know of my ongoing commitment to the Rape Recovery Center. I started out six years ago as a volunteer. I worked the 24-hour crisis line, spoke in high school classes and was part of the hospital response team that would go to the hospital when a victim came in. Ultimately I had to break away from the actual one-on-one contact because I couldn't learn how to "leave it at the door" in relation to my feelings. Luckily for me, a spot on their Board of Directors opened up and I finally found a good fit in this non-profit organization that I am so passionate about. I've been on the Board now for two years, going on my third.

For a little over a year now as a Board we've talked about making a video that we could show to high schools and corporate sponsors. This is such a sensitive, hush-hush issue that we knew we had to go about it in a special way. Not too bold, not too graphic, but with sensitivity. This truly turned out to be a labor of love. Thank you to the Simmons family because without them this would not have been possible.

It's time to Break the Silence. I guarantee, 100% without a doubt, that each of you know someone who's been a victim and now a survivor of sexual assualt. You might not know that you do, but you do.

Proudly, I would like to present "Breaking the Silence." It's only a 10 minute video. Please watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVOlQ0E8RT4


I don't want to bog you down and scare you with statistics, but I will leave you with just one...
Nearly one in three Utah women will experience some form of sexual violence in their lifetime.

4 comments:

Princess said...

Thanks Sandy! I think your commitment is great, and I know how hard it can be! Keep up the awesome work, your amazing!!!!!

Nat said...

You have my support friend!

Sephalo said...

I watched the video... its really good. Good job Sandy :)

Carmen (Cholico) Lynch said...

Thanks for doing this post! You amaze me Woman!