Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sundance

This year I was lucky enough to buy a movie package with one of my girlfriends for Sundance.  We had movies both here and in Park City. 

I {LOVED} every minute of it.  Even the movie I didn't quite get and the dorky questions that sometimes people ask during Q & A.

We saw...

Knuckle. A documentary about traveling Irish clans who still to this day bare knuckle fight to sort out their differences (and sometimes just ego issues). Rating: 3 Stars

Prarie Love. A dark comedy about finding love on the cold tundra of North Dakota.  Rating: 2 stars.  Luckily, this film had it's rating bumped because James Franco was sitting in the front row.

Another Happy Day.  A dramatic film about a messed up family surviving a wedding.  Crazy family dynamics.  Although, I must say Demi Moore plays a very awesome beeotchy step-mother. Classic.  Ratings: 3 stars

Shut Up! Little Man.  A documentary about the auto recordings from some mid-20's roommates of their ever constantly fighting roommates next door.  Weird.  Funny at times.  Downfall was we had to sit in the 2nd to front row of the theatre and Redstone is a HORRIBLE theatre for that. I got nautious halfway through and couldn't watch the screen anymore.  However, T and I did sit next to the leader of a mophead bike gang who also had a documentary showing at Sundance. Oookkaaayyy.  There was a guy during the Q & A that I really wanted to yell "Shut Up! Little Man." But I didn't...  Rating: 2 stars

Pariah.  A dramatic film about the coming of age of a young girl in to a cold world.  Moving. Raw. Made you think.  Rating: 4 stars

Circumstances.  A dramatic film with subtitles about the struggles and injustices happening in the world of Iran as told through the eyes of Iranian teenagers.  Powerful. Beautiful.  Tragic.  For the Q & A most of the film's cast was there and one question with the answers that followed from the cast blew me away.  Most of them still have family in Iran and they had to make the hard decision that if they were to be in this film then they knew they would never be allowed in Iran again because of the topic matter the film dealt with.  One of the main actresses said that her family does not know she is in this film and she should probably figure out a way to tell them soon since this film has been bought.  It was the perfect ending to Sundance for me.  Rating: 4 stars

We also got to see Civil Wars.  A lovely new singing duo.  Their first album will be released in February.  I strongly encourage you to check them out.

Overall, Sundance was wonderful.  I can't wait for next year.




** All pictures are by the very talented Pen&Palate.

No comments: